The Philosophy of The Myers Clinic is to provide the most efficient healthcare possible for our entire patient area. We consider healthcare to include intervention in illness or injury, preventive measures in the broadest sense including education, and emphasis on promoting mental and physical well-being.
In 1910, Dr. J.W. Myers, who practiced medicine for 40 years, moved to Philippi and established a home/office for his medical practice and in the following years the Myers Remedy Co., which manufactured its medicine in the same block as the Southern States store in Philippi. He and his wife, Linnie Crim Johnson Myers, had five children: Karl, Hu, Elmer, Edna and Junior, all of whom became physicians. Karl a radiologist, Hu a surgeon, Elmer a clinical pathologist, Edna a gynecologist-obstetrician, Junior an ophthalmologist. On returning to Barbour County, Dr. Karl J. Myers and Dr. Hu C. Myers along with their father, Dr. J.W. Myers, realized that there needed to be an expansion on current medical services being provided and that Philippi was in desperate need of a hospital and clinic. Their plans materialized and the Myers Clinic Hospital was dedicated in June 1933 with the Reverend C.C. Lambert conducting the services, as the Myers Clinic Hospital with 33 beds. After World War II, an expansion was added taking the total to around 70 beds to serve Philippi and the Central West Virginia area. For a short time all of the Myers practiced together at the the Myers Clinic Hospital.